Monday, April 18, 2011

There is no going back now...

I've been an athlete my entire life...I played a collegiate sport for four years (well kinda played, road the bench a lot) and I try to stay active. However, running as NEVER been my thing, hence why I was a goalkeeper. I've ran a bunch of 5k races (which is 3.2 miles) over my lifetime but it wasn't until December 2010 when my Baltimore city roommate pushed me to run a half marathon with her. The thought of running 13.1 miles when the longest I probably ever ran before that was 5 miles blew my mind away. Of course I told Tristan I would do it with her....I signed up 2 days before the race because she gave me the gilt trip that I bailed on her. So with no training and the heaviest weight I've ever been, Tristan and I traveled to Virginia and I marked my first half marathon in the books with a pretty stellar time.

Call me crazy, but after that I was on a runners high and decided this is something I could get into. A week after my half marathon I signed up for the 10-miler Broad Street Run in Philadelphia (which is less than 2 weeks from today). My cousin and I have been gym buddies for the past few months now and I've pushed her to start running with me. Jackie and I completed a 5-miler race a few weeks ago (her longest race distance ever) and she brought up the idea to me that we should run the Walt Disney World Marathon.

After going through the pain of running a half marathon, my initial reaction to her suggestion was 'HELL NO!' But after sitting down and thinking about it I've decided this always has been a bucket list item for me and I can do it! Out of my close friends I think I will be the first one to do this and most of all I want to do this FOR ME! So with all of this being said, follow along with me as I go on a TOUGH journey I know some days I will regret and need lots of encouragement. So far things have been good with me already preparing for this 10-miler coming up.

January 8, 2012- Walt Disney World Marathon....see you there Mickey!!! Wish me luck!

P.S.- I'll be trying to give a video blog every once and a while with my posts. Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure I love this. Cute Vid :) WHoooo HOOOOOooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! This is such a great goal :) I was just telling Ryan the other week that I would like to do a marathon some day...possibly after school ends...mabey we can run one together!! I miss and love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete